January 14th, 2009
Current Music: teclando
work work work while i sing this song, work work work, hope it gets done real good... work work work, in my NEIGHBORHOOD
T-Minus 6 days until the greatest day D.C. has had this CENTURY!
and the weather outside:
see more puppies
yeah. not fun. But funny/sad story. so the other person i share my office with was coming to work last thursday when she slipped on some ice and fell. she braced herself with her arm and hurt it. she still came into work, even though her arm was getting more swollen by the hour, because our boss said it was probs not hurt that badly. she went home early to go to the hospital and found out that she had broken her wrist lengthwise...which is really bad. but it's funny in the sense that she threatens to hit people, NOT ME, with her cast...
bad story... my life = lameface and cold.
December 16th, 2008
Even though I am at work at have been since 7 am, LIFE IS GOOOOOOOD. Got some good news yesterday on my W-A-L-K with the brodie-o. Yes I have to spell out that word, it's strange but the dog has taught me these things.
I was in SUCH a good mood yesterday that I treated the roommates to dinner and then we CELEBRATED!!! Not too much because alcohol is a no-no, supposedly.
Also today is Jackie's bday!! WOHOO!!!!
Second point, I love not having exams. This is the first time I haven't had exams in December and it's WONDERFUL! I can't wait until April/May when I don't have final finals!!!
December 11th, 2008
Current Music: Space - Sarah Buxton
I don't think it's coincidence, I think it's human nature. When you smell in the air that someone is about to get taken, whether it be romantically or professionally, everyone wants to dance with that one specific person.
I mean when you see some guy you had once been interested in or even mouth kissed him at one point, but that today if asked, you would say you are totally not interested in, until he's with another girl and clearly involved with her do you become interested again. It's the chase. And isn't just limited to romance. I promise it has to do with professional life too. When I was getting close to maybe getting my first offer, I got a few calls and other interviews. Then when I got my first offer for a job, the second one came in on its heels. And gosh darnit, it's happening again. I literally got called twice this week from two different companies for interviews THE NEXT DAY. That is crazy and doesn't happen. I mean after months of NOTHING, not even a dialtone, I have two companies wanting to fill up my dance card. One might have given me an informal offer and I may be waiting for an official one, while the other one, who I JUST came back from an interview with, called right as I got into work to schedule a 2nd interview, but not like today's interview, because they want to introduce me to people. It's very surreal.
And there is no way for a desperately single or searching for a new job to appear in a relationship or getting an offer for a new job. I think I am going to chalk it up to pheramones. There must be profesh ones too.
WOW I am talkative today. And should be more productive because I'm only here for 4 hours.
December 10th, 2008
While this link is completely against everything else in the previous post, it's still a hilarious idea: http://lastnightsclothes.wordpress.com/
(called the clothes that got me laid) HA
I haven't actually read more than a sentence from the above site but it looks promising.
a tried and true site that I loves checking because it's so witty and spot on!http://www.salon.com/mwt/broadsheet/
-classy and interesting feminist bend on life
Obviously there is a lot of trying to beat my previous sudoku time. Then sometimes I get work in... lies. Now that there are only 2 of us on the contract instead of 5 or 6, I get to do 4 more people's jobs. It's actually good to actually DO something but still not quite challenging, yet.
Current Music: All I Want to Do - Sugarland
Be safe out there. It's not the 50's anymore. Sad to say, but you can't trust anyone anymore. Send to anyone & everyone.
READ THIS PLEASE
Through a Rapist's Eyes (No Joke)
When this was sent to me, I was told to forward it to my lady friends, but I forwarded it to most everyone in my address book. My men friends have female friends and this Information is too important to miss someone.
Please pass it along and share it with your children.
A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They aremost likely to go after a woman with a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed . They are also likely to go after a woman with long hair . Women with short hair are not common targets.
2) The second thing men look for is clothing.. They will look for women who's clothing is easy to remove quickly. Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing.
3) They also look for women on their cell phone, searching through their purse, or doing other activities while walking because they are off-guard and can be easily overpowered.
4) Men are most likely to attack & rape in the early morning, between 5: 00a.m. And 8:30a.m.
5) The number one place women are abducted from/attacked is grocery store parking lots. The number two: office parking lots/garages.. Number three: public restrooms.
6) The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about getting caught.
7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.
8) If you put up any kind of a fight at all, they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize that going after you isn't worth it because it will be time-consuming.
9) These men said they would not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance, in their hands.
Keys are NOT a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you're not worth it.
10) Several defense mechanisms he taught us are: If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell, look them in the face and ask them a question, like what time is it?, or make general small talk: 'I can't believe it is so cold out here,' 'We're in for a bad winter.' Now you've seen their face and could identify them in a line-up; you lose appeal as a target.
11) If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell STOP! Or STAY BACK! Most of the rapists this man talked to saidthey'd leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.
12) If you carry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes), yell I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY andholding it out will be a deterrent.
13) If someone grabs you, you can't beat them with strength but you can byoutsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind,pinch the attacker either under the Arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper inner thigh VERY VERY HARD. One woman in a class this guy taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands - the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it - it hurts.
14) After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy's parts it is extremely painful. You might think that you'll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble and he's out of there.
15) When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.
16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, go with your instincts!!!
You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.
1. Tip from Tae Kwon Do : The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans : If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you....chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.) DON'T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.
a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
5 A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!
8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP! It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked 'for help' into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
9. Another Safety Point: Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her'Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.'
The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, 'We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.' He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night.
Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby --- This should be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana
I'd like you to forward this to all the women you know. It may save a life. A candle is not dimmed by lighting another candle. I was going to send this to the ladies only, but guys, if you love your mothers, wives, sisters, daughters, etc., you may want to pass it onto them, as well.
December 9th, 2008
Current Music: DA VID SON DAVIDSON!
I just tuned in to the Davidson bball game. Dad called and I had totally forgotten that it was supposed to be on tonight. I totally peaced out from the roommate tv watching and went upstairs to watch the game. Yet as soon as I tuned in, we started not doing well. But I wanted to turn off the TV to fix it, but I can't. So maybe not paying attention and having it on in the background will make it better. I don't think it will. Where is the canadian squirrel?? Did he foul out again?? Or was his nickname something different??? wait the badger??? THAT'S IT!!!!
Anyway, there was an interview today. It happened. I got to sleep in, even though the interview was at 8:45 AM! Doesn't that mean that I get up too early for an interview before 9 am to be late? [Sorry, had to pause to see Steph do his thang and then let the entire team take us TO VICTORY!!!] ok so it was interesting, the interview. I am not going to get my hopes up with all they told me but I am a little bit wary about what people say in the interview, actually I am quite wary about managers in general and what they say because I have learned from my current situation that they can talk out of both sides of their mouths. Not classy. But you live and then learn, right?? I know what I want to do when I am a manager and what I want to look for in future managers.
So that is all I got. Well except for the beagle and his crazyness. He's probably outside my room waiting for me to let him in, but he is against this whole laptop thing. I think he's a PC dog and not a Mac one. And he is now into this whole burrowing under the covers. I swear his auntie cuuuuura must have taught him more than I expected. He has also developed this whole snooze thing. He hates getting up in the morning... he used to wake me up after the alarm went off, now he grunts and goes back under the covers. It's kinda funny.
December 8th, 2008
I remember the days when Ledell somehow convinced me to join lj. And it's been a century of experiences since that's all started. I don't know when this went from telling friends how you really feel when they are like 5 rooms down the hall to an actual journal. I think it might have been around thesis time and then the subsequent move to grad school.
I couldn't find a better picture of the beagle...since Jackie has my camera and all my most recent pics are on my phone. PhotoSHOOT!!!
I am watching that 3 part movie-ish show The Librarian on TNT... I love DVR because I can not only miss all commercials, but watch it on my time. That's right, the tv no longer controls me!!!
While this has nothing to do with anything I was talking about above, I wanted to make a little, how you say subject change and I don't even know if this'll work but I'll try
When I am not all involved in this awesome movie-show I'll share the story about how Jackie and I kinda sorta hung out with Tony Lucca (I love you...Irma), Curtis Peoples (way awkward with us) and Ernie Halter (super cool).
K done. Jacks and I went to this really cool venue, albeit up in ANNAPOLIS which is kinda far, but it was so nice and fun that the distance didn't matter. And it was a noon concert. Early for normal people to drink but Jacks and I are trouble makers. And sat at the edge of the stage so when each one of them came off stage we'd wave them over to our table to chat. We had some vino with Curtis which was way uncomfortable for all of us, and Ernie was so much fun. After the show he kept giving us hugs and I have a really cute pic of him with Jackie. Then, I got to talk to Tony Lucca. It was so exciting. I didn't realize I was one of those fans who was so nervous to actually talk to him, but I wasn't all teenybopper type crazy. I was chill and we were chatting. He told me that he would have come over to join us had it been two years ago (when he was a single man)... not that Jacks and I were trying to get with any of them but it does make sense. Better to be safe then sorry.
Ok I should look this up but when does one use then versus than?? I was thinking about that when i used then in that last line of the previous paragraph. I just never knew that rule.
My beagle is sooo out of the loop. He is what, 10 years too late for the beanie baby craze yet he's all playing with the one someone gave him on turkey day.
This is day 1 of me giving up starbucks. I am going one week at a time. Weekends are the hardest...
OH got an interview today. It's for tomorrow. Ledell helped me get it with her company. WISH ME LUCK!!
September 21st, 2007
Current Music: accounting class
HI!!! I was just in class and we were talking about a case where a woman was not hired because they googled her and on page 9 of the google search they found something interesting facts about her history - i.e. protesting...and the company felt that she would not work under the image of the firm. so i went back and went through my facebook, myspace and livejournal to privatize everything...just because people can check you out. scary how the internet is like big brother.
but i wanted to say hello and see how all the lj peeps are!! i miss everyone!!
November 18th, 2006
Current Music: Summit weird music
I realized that I only think about updating on Livejournal when I am in the middle of writing a paper...or when i just get chased by a raccoon. Today is the day of the greatest Michigan-Ohio State game. I am excited I really wanted to have had this research paper done by today so I could go out and celebrate the game with a done paper, but not so much. That's ok.
I'm feeling invisible. I don't know why, because I know I am not...I just saw some recent pictures of me and I look disgusting. I really should do that whole stop eating thing because I definitely need to. It probably wouldn't do any good anyway...self-loathing is a great mood to write an essay in, let me tell you! But back to the invisible thing. I feel like I can be places or not and people just wouldn't care either way or they feel like I am a burden. I guess I am just really really ready for break and to get away.